Monday, April 18, 2016

Megan's Letter 4/18/16

So this week I have gained a HUGE testimony of member missionary work. Let me tell you about 3 experiences we've had!
1. Last week we rode to Stake Conference with the Cates Family. We got talking to the older son, Adam, about his friend who used to meet with the Elders! Long story short Adam offered to set up a lesson with him and his friend later that week. We met with them on Thursday and it went decent, but nothing extraordinary. Afterwards we received the nicest text from Adam. He told us that he has been struggling with his own faith lately, and meeting with us and teaching the gospel to his friend helped him a lot!
2. James was baptized on Saturday! Charlotte was so proud of him. I'm so grateful for the example she has set for him! Charlotte reminds me of Lehi in the vision of the tree of life. She partook of the fruit and immediately desired that James would too. We need to be as anxious as she has been in sharing the gospel with our loved ones. (:



​3. So I don't think I've told y'all a ton about Olivia. That's because she's been through several sets of missionaries over the years! She is 15 years old, and was introduced to the gospel by her step mom. She has wanted to be baptized for a long time, but never could since her mom was against the church. Thanks to a visit from a loving Young Women's President, Olivia's mom (Toria) agreed to meet with us. We began to have lessons with her from that time on! At one point we even had a baptismal date set for her and Olivia both. The ward truly accepted Toria in with open arms. Although Toria didn't follow through with her own baptism, we did not count it as a loss because her heart was softened. Olivia was baptized and confirmed yesterday thanks to all those who have reached out to her over the years, and those who reached out to her mom as well.

On Saturday night we got a text from a Sister in the ward who asked me to cover her relief society lesson on: Bringing the Gospel to the World. She told me to take the angle of encouraging the women to do their own missionary work. I learned a lot from studying about it, but my favorite was a quote from Ezra Taft Benson who said:

"We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its' own self-destruction. Only the gospel will bring happiness, joy, and salvation to the human family."

As I first read this I was reminded of the many experiences in the week that all lead back to member missionary work. I know when we reach out in love to share the gospel, miracles can and will happen.

If any of y'all know someone who is struggling with their faith, or who would possibly accept the message of the gospel-- Simply open your mouth and share! You never know the impact you'll have on someone, or the impact you'll have on your own testimony. Hope everyone has a good week. (:

I love you all!

-Sister Merrill

PS our zone went hiking today (which everyone knows I hate), so another sister and I got to explore the park instead!(:

No comments:

Post a Comment