Monday, February 27, 2017

Megan's Letter 2/27/17

This week I said goodbye to Sister Tunuufi and hello to Sister Cullimore! I was sad to see "T" go, but I know that Mississippi needs her. On the other hand Sister Cullimore is so much fun! We get along great. It's going to be a good transfer. (:

Sister Benioni and Sister Moline finished their missions this week! I look up to them both so much and I have learned so much from them.




We've still been working with Stephen this week! I think we saw him 3 times. He is progressing a lot, but he takes a little more time than most people to understand things. At the end of one of our lessons he tried to pray to "Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and all the prophets.." We had to stop him and explain that we only pray to Heavenly Father! He wasn't able to make it to church yesterday because he wasn't feeling well, but we will see him later this week.

Shane is progressing.... kind of. Some days he is great! He does so well in lessons. Other days he isn't even home when we show up for our appointment. Also, he didn't come to church yesterday and hasn't responded to texts or calls. He is very sincere but I think the lifestyle changes can be intimidating.

Shawn is still getting ready for baptism this coming month! He wants his uncle Joe to baptize him, but his uncle Joe isn't active! So we are working on that. This week we taught Shawn and his little brother, Kevin, about Tithing and the Sabbath day. We talked about things we should and shouldn't do on the Sundays. It got me thinking about some of the things I will do differently when I get home to keep the Sabbath day holy.

This week for District Meeting I was asked to give a training on Diligence. This has been something I've been working on my whole mission! I remember at my halfway mark I read this scripture during my studies:

Alma 38:10

"And now, as ye have begun to teach the word even so I would that ye should continue to teach; and I would that ye would be diligent and temperate in all things."

It got me thinking about what diligence really means. So many missionaries think it means you have to work without stopping, and basically go till you drop! I view diligence a little differently. In the words of my trainer, Sister Patten:

"Sometimes, when we fall short (which is so often) diligence is just the effort taken to get up and try again the next day. It is important for missionaries [and everyone for that matter] not to view diligence as this unattainable ability to work hard without stopping or messing up. Our real ability to exhibit diligence is manifested when we DO mess up-- because when that happens, we can either call it quits or decide to try to do better. To me, the choice to try again, and to keep trying to be more like the Savior, is what diligence means."

I have come to find on my mission that diligence does not mean perfection. I will always fall short, but I am diligent because I will never give up. I hope all y'all choose to be a little more diligent in everything you do! Remember the Savior is there to pick you up each time you fall. Have a great week! I love y'all. (: 


-Sister Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment